Monday, 25 August 2014

Changes

Source.
I have officially been informed of my brother's gf's pregnancy.

Not by my him though. I was helping my sister move house, for the third time this year, when she got a call from my brother. She seemed excited by whatever he said so I assumed he'd told her something I wouldn't care about. My father was there too and she went to tell him something before changing her mind.

'Fredulous is here. Will I tell him about it as well?'

There was a short delay before she hung up. She looked to me.

'So [redacted] is pregnant and...' She looked towards my father. '...it's a girl!'

As it turns out I was unsurprisingly the last person to be told. My seventeen-year-old sister was told before me. By him. In person. Extended members of my family who my brother never sees were told before I was. The reasoning being that my brother didn't want my mother to find out, who as I have previously alluded to he has no relationship with. But even she got told before me. By my grandmother.

I'll be seeing him next weekend. We're going to Electric Picnic, a music festival in Ireland. There aren't any hard feelings and I'm looking forward to possibly initiating the re-building of our relationship. But I'm more looking forward to seeing Annie Clark in person.

***

I am officially a Computer Science student.

I've even registered with the college. I had to upload an image for my student ID. I'm insecure enough about how I look that I photoshopped it.

In Ireland college courses are offered to prospective students in the following way: you create an account on the CAO (Central Applications Office) website and then come up with a list of courses that you want to do in college and arrange them in the order that you want to do them. You can change the order around and add courses as much as you want until the deadline comes. You do your end of school exams in June which collectively make up the Leaving Certificate, and then you get a score out of 625 (100 for each subject, with a bonus of 25 points if you do higher level mathematics). Then in August you get an offer for the course that's highest on your list which you satisfy conditions for i.e. correct number of points and appropriate subject choices in school. (You don't have to complete your Leaving Certificate in the same year you apply to the CAO. Like I didn't. Obviously.)

I got up early because I was nervous about whether or not I'd get an offer. I checked my CAO account and sure enough I got it with 100 more points than I actually needed.

I have to move house on Monday. I also come home from Electric Picnic on Monday. So that'll be shit.

Finance is a huge problem for me right now. As opposed to before when it was just a debilitating inconvenience. My scholarship is paid in monthly installments, the first of which I won't receive until October. I get a grant too, but that gets paid into my account at the same time as the scholarship. Which means I have no income until then, because as a full-time student I am not entitled to the unemployment benefit I was previously living off while struggling and ultimately failing to find a job.

I can't get a loan yet because I have to wait for the college to send me a letter which proves to the bank that I'm going there. Even if that letter came tomorrow I'd have to wait for the loan to be approved. My aunt has generously offered to loan me €1500 in the mean time. That will definitely help with general living expenses, rent etc. But as a CS student I will undoubtedly require a new laptop which is somewhat less of a piece of shit than this one I've been filling with viruses since 2010, and I'm not sure if I can afford that right away, which could make the first month difficult for me. I haven't even considered textbooks yet. I might not need any, but it's stressful knowing there's a possibility I will.

I know the names of my new housemates. One of them is female. I've tracked her on Facebook. She seems annoying. Typical 18/19-year-old. Probably excited by adulthood. I will probably be kept awake by the sexual experimentation she has been anticipating this whole summer. Another one of them is a guy. I might have found him on Facebook. If not there's another guy attending the same college with the same name who dresses up as a sailor sometimes that I don't want to share a house with. I'm not sure what sex the last one is. His/her name is Malaysian or something. I'll probably get along with him/her but also constantly live in fear of being inadvertently racist.

13 comments:

  1. It strikes me as funny that in order to not be inadvertently racist, you won't be able to ask that roommate for help in math.

    Anyway, best of luck with all the new changes. Remember, as a wise man once said, "Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans." Don't look at these things as obstacles, look at them as part of the ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be racist of me not to ask the Asian house mate for help with stuff like that. Like he/she might feel excluded if me and the others are crowded around a book trying to figure some problem out and I don't ask for help. Or refuse it desperately when it's offered

      Delete
  2. Please make a note of all that happens in the student house. I believe the writers of Fresh Meat are touting for new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will use this blog to document all the goings on. These are my memoirs.

      Delete
  3. When I first read "Not by him though", I really thought some other guy had impregnated your brother's girlfriend! Assuming that isn't the case, congratulations on your impending uncledom. I hope you flatmate turns out to be less annoying than she seems. Maybe she'll be a good cook or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like the idea of other people cooking for me and I'm probably really annoying in that regard on account of me not eating meat and to a lesser extent dairy. Maybe she'll just be quiet. That would be nice.

      Delete
  4. Just think what exciting blog posts you are going to write based on your housemates. I'm already excited!

    You will get through financially. I've been through financial hell to the point where I could barely eat and came out the other end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll write a concise profile on each housemate soon.

      I may or may not have received excellent financial news today which I will write about if it all works out. Thank you for your support.

      Delete
  5. This living situation sounds like a great potential sitcom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My whole life is like one ridiculous sitcom. I'm probably inviting it subconsciously. In the same way that teen girls started inviting drama into their lives after Twilight came out.

      Delete
  6. Hey mate. Spread this around as much as you can. To the most weird and wonderful places you can think of. It's my new experience this week ;)

    http://spillit.me/MichaelGD92

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. They're keeping you out of the loop AND you have to move the same sibling 3 times in one year? Why does she keep moving? And, congratulations on being an uncle?

    ReplyDelete
  8. This could be good - for us readers. Welcome to the world of chronic financial woes. It does end at some point when you finally pay off your loans, but then it starts up again with new financial woes. On a positive note, you're gonna be Uncle Fredulous. I wouldn't know because I haven't been an Uncle, but being an Auntie is the best!

    ReplyDelete