Wednesday, 2 July 2014

4 Year Plan

Source.
It is official. I will either be studying Computer Science next year, or be spending another year unemployed.

For the past week, since the disappointment that came with my HPAT results, I have been carefully considering the different directions I can take my life. Ultimately I narrowed my course choices to two: General Science, primarily out of fear of never getting to study it again, and Computer Science which I described previously as my shortcut to winning life. I settled on Computer Science because I think it's more important that things I want to do in life take precedence over things I don't want to not do, like MDMA.

I have a plan. If everything goes according to it I might feel much more ok with not getting into medicine. 

Phase 1:

This phase begins right now. I have to become happier. I don't feel the same pressure that I did prior to getting my HPAT results, which is going to make things a lot easier. I'm not busting my ass trying to pass an aptitude test that has a slim success rate. I'm not having frequent doubts about whether or not I should commit twelve years of my life to earning something I only kind of want. I'm not waiting in fear of rejection in the form of results from that aforementioned aptitude test. I have to make the most of my first year in college. I need to overcome social anxiety and get involved in situations where I can meet other people. I have to never be embarrassed. I will make a fool of myself. I need to work hard. Work often. I can't limit learning to when it has to be done. I must enjoy free time. Not feel guilty during free time. I have to make time to write.

Phase 2:

I have to continue along the same lines during second year. With important focus being placed on work. If I consistently score highly enough throughout the year I become eligible for a paid summer internship with Microsoft. This will provide me with relevant work experience and will finance my survival throughout the summer months, which means I won't have to rely solely on what's left of my scholarship, as I will during the summer between year one and year two.

Phase 3:


In third year I will get involved in the college's Erasmus Exchange program. Two weeks before semester one begins I will travel to Italy for an intensive language course. I studied the language for five years in school but never achieved fluency. This course will help me to re-learn everything important that I've forgotten and prepare me for properly getting to grips with the language throughout the nine months that follow. I hope to meet interesting and attractive people during my time there. But not let these interesting and attractive people distract me from my studies, as I will need to earn another internship for the summer when I get back.

Phase 4:

I go into my final year. I compile* all of the projects I've been working on over the previous three years and create a portfolio to impress perspective employers. This will include tutorials, widgets, web pages etc. I commit myself to the research project I have to do as part of my course and produce something that will get me a good grade and which I could also include in my portfolio. I continue to work and finish with results I am proud of and that other people will be impressed by.

Should my plan come to fruition, in four years time I will have a degree, six months of experience in a reputable relevant working environment, have nine months of experience residing in a foreign country, be fluent in two languages and have prepared a presentable portfolio.

While all this ambition has been filling my head, I've also been very seriously toying with the idea of finally writing a book. I've begun work on something which I aim to reach approximately ten thousand words with. It's a series of events which occur throughout a sequence of chronological short stories featuring the same characters, with perspective shifting between them. I did not intentionally steal this format from Irvine Welsh. I'm starting small because I want to finish. I don't know how much free time I will have to write when September comes, so the book could be a while off, but at least I can see it happening now.

*pun totally intended.

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Kitty. You're the best. :)

      Delete
  2. Having a plan is always better than not having one. But don't get disheartened if things don't go strictly to plan - allow yourself a little elasticity, is my advice, whilst keeping an eye on the end goal. And as someone who has hurled a book or two into the uncaring void that is Kindle I can tell you that writing a book is ball-achingly hard, frustrating, tedious but also richly awarding, exciting and deeply fulfilling. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for this. I will try not to beat myself up too much if I fail in any of my endeavours.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad that writing is part of your plan. You could publish excerpts of your book here to get some feedback. The computer science career plan sounds impressive, but never getting embarrassed might be difficult to achieve. Even strippers get embarrassed (although not normally while doing their job).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my plans don't work out I might have to resort to becoming a stripper. You have opened my eyes considerably.

      Delete
  4. Personally I find that my pigeon Italian improves greatly with the more Bardolino I drink.

    Secondly: Attractive and interesting people will ALWAYS distract you. Especially if you need to talk Italian to them as well.

    Thirdly: I hope your plan goes to plan but after phase 1 I was already exhausted. I'm not the person to ask ;)

    And... Hello.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My straight-edgedness means I'll have to go about learning the language the hard way.

      Funny story: In school for my final Italian exam ever I had to have a conversation with an examiner for the oral section. She was hot. I definitely underperformed because of it.

      I also hope everything works out. I do tend to have an exhaustive effect.

      And hey.

      Delete
  5. You remind me of a slightly younger version of me - bursting with potential and waiting for the right thing to unleash it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually a slightly older version of you. From the future. This whole blog is a ruse. It was the best way I could think of to establish contact with you. A warning: DO NOT CHOOSE THE SALMON! I REPEAT, DO NOT CHOOSE THE SALMON!

      Delete
    2. You mean this salmon? It seemed like a- (chokes, blacks out, wakes up 20 years later in a suspicious-smelling chicken suit).

      Delete
  6. You left out Phase 5: Supervillian lair on the ocean floor.

    Lots of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like you've got it sorted, well done! and good luck! x

    ReplyDelete